The 2012 Gewurztraminer – Curry Creek Vineyard offers a firm, rich palate with textures of slate and peach pit, and fruit notes of ripe, brandied peaches. This delicious one pot chicken dish is comforting and delicious. Tender, juicy chicken with ginger infused coconut rice make a stunning complement to this forwardly stern Gewurztaminer.
Dutch Oven Chicken with Coconut Rice
1 1/2 pounds boneless, skinless chicken thighs cut in two
1/4 cup canola or peanut oil
2 tsp kosher salt 1/2 teaspoon black pepper
2 Tbsp minced fresh ginger
1 Tbsp minced garlic
1 1/2 cups basmati rice
1 1/2 cups chicken broth
1 (13.5-ounce) can coconut milk
1 yellow bell pepper, chopped into ½” pieces
1/2 cup roasted cashews, coarsely chopped
fresh cilantro or thai basil, chopped
- Pre-heat oven to 375 degrees.
- Coat chicken with ~ 2Tbsp oil and season with salt and pepper.
- In a large Dutch oven, heat 2 tablespoons of oil over medium heat. In two batches, brown chicken on all sides (about 5 minutes per batch). Set aside on a plate.
- Add the remaining 1 Tbsp oil, ginger and the garlic to the empty pot, and stir about 30 seconds, until fragrant. Add rice and stir until evenly coated in the oil. Add broth, coconut milk, bell pepper, cashews, scallions and the remaining 1 tsp salt and 4 tsp pepper. Stir, and mix up the tasty browned bits from the bottom of the pan. Arrange chicken on top, add resting juices the plate and bring to a boil over high heat.
- Cover and bake until all of the liquid is absorbed, rice is tender and chicken is cooked through, 25 minutes.
- Plate chicken on top of rice and sprinkle with fresh cilantro or thai basil.
- Pour your self a glass of Gewurz and enjoy!!